Friday, July 2, 2010

What a fighter

Wow, it's almost mid-night and mom is still with us. . . I almost want to say that she is better than she was just a few hours earlier. . .

Enoka and I went home to shower and grab the necessities to stay longer and when we came back it is almost like she is back to breathing like she was a few days ago and the spit up is gone.

What a day. . . when the nurse said she could go in the next 4 hours, the entire family came together. . I left work early and we each had some time with her. Everyone telling her how much they love her and will miss her and thanking her for our lives. . . we all sang for a few hours and now we are all sleeping over. Well most are sleeping - as I am an outsider of sorts. . I waited until now to have my alone time with her. I am glad because Kemu hasn't slept at all this week and she has actually been asleep for a few minutes (doesn't sound like much but believe me it is)

I was amazed at how well so many people could work together without fuss or trouble. Lots of crying of course, but mostly singing and praising the lord. For awhile there we were singing every Church song she knew but we slowly ran out of songs and it was way past time for dinner. Although I include myself with the entire family, I only knew the words to 3 of the many songs that were offered up to the Lord.

At one point in the afternoon, we started to reminisce about mommy and what we will forever miss. One of the greatest things will be the UH football games. . . when Uriah (oldest grandchild) played for UH we were at every home game. . . got broke doing it, but we were there. When he graduated, we started buying the season games on TV. Every game night (or day) we would lug the huge TV into the garage and everyone would bring food and we would cheer for our team. . (win or loose) until the very end. . Passing around sunflower seeds, drinks, candy, food. . sometimes we would even bbq. Mom was the first one out everytime. Noka and I could show up around 2 pm for a 6pm kick off and there she was sitting on the couch with her table in front of her waiting for everyone to show. Yes we will all miss pulling up to the house and seeing her outside waiting for us.

We also began her final arrangements and that was a little hard on everyone. No one really wanted to think about it because she is still with us - technically. . and I only use that term because as we have been told the entire body has officially shut down except for her brain. Even being told this, I know like I've never before understood, that there is a distinct difference between body and spirit. . .It's hard to explain but awesome to witness that her body is tired, and dying, and lifeless. . . yet her spirit is strong and fighting this death with every breath she takes. As difficult as this is to watch, I am grateful for the experience. It has helped me understand more about the plan of salvation in a way that I never could have before.

1 comment:

  1. Know that we're thinking of you guys and are keeping you in our prayers! Hug noka for us!